The governance structure for the health insurance exchanges can vary greatly from state to state.
Much of the variation stems from whether a particular state elected to create and run its own state-based exchange, partner with the federal government to create a state partnership exchange, or not create its own exchange or partner with the federal government and rely on a federally facilitated exchange.
For states that elect to run their own exchange, they must decide their exchange’s governance structure and the structure of their exchange’s governing board. The Health Insurance Exchange (HIX) Determination Process and Governance Structure Dataset includes data on what body made the final decision to operate a state-based exchange, state partnership exchange, or federally facilitated exchange, and which government agency runs a state's exchange and who selects a state's exchange governing board. Furthermore, this dataset also includes detailed characteristics of each state's exchange governing board.
Note: If you are using the HIX Determination Process & Governance Structure Dataset for research purposes please cite the dataset as follows: Baker, T.; Town, R. (2014): Health Insurance Exchanges 2.0 Dataset. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2014/03/hix-2-0/hix-determination-process---governance-structure-dataset.html?cq_ck=1427902800063.
The HIX Determination Process & Governance Structure Dataset was last updated on March, 2014.
The creation of the datasets is a work in progress. We welcome your suggestions. Please contact Gabbie Nirenburg at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or ideas for improvement in the datasets. The datasets are regularly updated and we will attempt to incorporate your comments.
- 1. State Insurance Departments Dataset
- 2. Small Business Insurance Health Options Program (SHOP) Participation Rules Dataset
- 3. Health Insurance Exchange Determination Process and Governance Structure Dataset
- 4. Medicaid Expansion and Federal State Division of Responsibilities Dataset
- 5. Consumer Assistance Dataset
- 6. Plan Benefit Design Dataset
- 7. Regulation of Choice Architecture Dataset
- 8. Navigators and Brokers Dataset
- 9. State Action on Insurance Market Reforms Dataset
- 10. Insurance Premiums 2013-2015 Dataset
- 11. Insurers' Marketshare 2010-2014 Dataset
- 12. Second Open Enrollment Period Window Shopping Dataset