The Affordable Care Act required that consumers have access to in-person or on-call assistance to understand their choices and “navigate” the complexities of the new health insurance marketplaces.
One consequence of each state’s decision about whether to run its own marketplace is an extreme variation in the time-limited funding available for consumer assistance programs.
This data set includes variables tracking variation between states in terms of types of assistance available and the level of funding for each state in the first year of marketplace operations.
Funding for HIX 2.0, and the Consumer Assistance Dataset, was provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Note: If you are using the Consumer Assistance Dataset for research purposes please cite the dataset as follows: Baker, T.; Town, R. (2014): Health Insurance Exchanges 2.0 Dataset. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2014/03/hix-2-0/consumer-assistance-dataset.html
The Consumer Assistance Dataset was last updated on October 2013.
The creation of the datasets is a work in progress. We welcome your suggestions. Please contact Gabbie Nirenburg at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments, or ideas for improvement in the datasets. The datasets are regularly updated and we will attempt to incorporate your comments.
- 1. State Insurance Departments Dataset
- 2. Small Business Insurance Health Options Program (SHOP) Participation Rules Dataset
- 3. Health Insurance Exchange Determination Process and Governance Structure Dataset
- 4. Medicaid Expansion and Federal State Division of Responsibilities Dataset
- 5. Consumer Assistance Dataset
- 6. Plan Benefit Design Dataset
- 7. Regulation of Choice Architecture Dataset
- 8. Navigators and Brokers Dataset
- 9. State Action on Insurance Market Reforms Dataset
- 10. Insurance Premiums 2013-2015 Dataset
- 11. Insurers' Marketshare 2010-2014 Dataset
- 12. Second Open Enrollment Period Window Shopping Dataset