Dates of Program: 2006 to present
Field of Work: Vulnerable populations and childhood obesity
Problem Synopsis: Environmental factors—including lack of access to full-service grocery stores, the high cost of healthy foods, and a lack of safe places to play and exercise—contribute to obesity and related diseases. Creating communities that support healthier lifestyles requires changes in the food environment and the physical environment, especially in low-income communities and communities of color. It also requires funders, advocates, policy-makers, and practitioners in many fields to work together.
Synopsis of the Work: The Convergence Partnership is a collaborative of funders working to help create communities of healthy people living in healthy places nationwide through policy and environmental change. It focuses on federal policy advocacy, improving access to healthy foods, and improving the built environment in low-income communities and communities of color. The Convergence Partnership brings together funders, advocates, policy-makers, and practitioners from many fields (such as agriculture, the built environment, economic development, health, housing, nutrition, and violence prevention) to coordinate and synergize their work.
Since forming the Convergence Partnership in 2006, the funders—Ascension Health, California Endowment, Kaiser Permanente, Kresge Foundation, Nemours, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), and W.K. Kellogg Foundation—have provided $19.6 million (through May 2012). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a technical adviser to the Convergence Partnership. PolicyLink directs the program and Prevention Institute provides policy research and analysis and strategic support.
The Convergence Partnership has created a healthy people in healthy places field in which people in different government agencies and from many fields are working together. Specifically:
- The Convergence Partnership has informed federal policy discussions and contributed to cross-agency, multi-field, and equity-focused policy efforts.
- The Convergence Partnership is connecting fields and leaders, providing training and information, and developing peer learning networks and new communities of practice.
- Letter from Six of the Nation's Top Health Foundations Making a Joint Call for Prevention Measures as Central to Health Care Reform August 7, 2009
- Leading Health Foundations Say Prevention is Vital to Health Systems Reform August 17, 2009
- Health Philanthropists Meet to Evaluate Policy Options for Reducing Obesity and Promoting Healthy Living January 31, 2008
- About this program