In order to reverse the childhood obesity epidemic in the United States, it is critical to elevate the importance of physical education and physical activity as core components of a comprehensive curriculum in schools. It is also essential to explicitly state ways in which the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) will work to address physical education, physical activity, and health in general in elementary and secondary education. Although federally mandated curricula is forbidden, the reauthorization of ESEA can highlight the importance of physical education and physical activity throughout the school day to encourage states and school districts to broaden their curriculum beyond the traditional academic subject areas.
This toolkit provides information to help improve opportunities for physical activity in school environments—during school hours, as well as before and after school. It will provide tools and resources to help ensure that school environments promote active living among children, and offer promising solutions to challenges that schools face in providing opportunities for physical activity.
- 1. The Value of Leadership Development
- 2. The Value of Regional-Level Work
- 3. Jammin' Minute
- 4. Naperville High School
- 5. Opportunity Link's North Central Montana Transit Initiative
- 6. Safe Routes to School at Maybury Elementary School in Detroit
- 7. Youth Advocacy
- 8. Advocacy to Reverse Childhood Obesity
- 9. Resource List for Childhood Obesity Advocacy
- 10. Advocacy Resource Guide
- 11. Keeping Kids Moving
- 12. Keeping Kids Moving: How Equitable Transportation Policy Can Prevent Childhood Obesity - What It Is
- 13. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit
- 14. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit
- 15. Making Schools the Model for Healthier Environments Toolkit: General School Nutrition Resources
- 16. Making the Grade
- 17. Making the Grade: Reversing Childhood Obesity in School Districts Toolkit - What Is It?
- 18. Making the Grade