Field of Work: Providing nonpartisan resources on health care policy to policy-makers and journalists.
Problem Synopsis: Congressional staff and journalists need access to timely, accurate, and objective information on complex health care challenges.
Synopsis of the Work: From 2008 to 2011, the Alliance for Health Reform conducted briefings created resources, and distributed materials for journalists and national policy-makers seeking a range of perspectives on health policy challenges.
The Alliance for Health Reform:
- Held 17 briefings for congressional and executive-branch staff, reporters, and representatives of health-related organizations on topics such as implementing the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act
- Produced nine issue briefs as background for the briefings, and posted a transcript, webcast, and podcast of each briefing on the alliance and Kaiser Family Foundation websites
- Produced 13 short videos explaining how the Affordable Health Care Act affects specific groups of Americans
- Produced and distributed two sourcebooks in English and Spanish for reporters who cover health policy
- Expanded and promoted a "Find-an-Expert" database, which links reporters with health policy experts
- Preparing Staff of Congressional Committees for the Health Reform Debate January 13, 2010
- Keeping the Press and Congressional Staff Informed about Health Care Policy August 27, 2009
- Briefing Congress and Journalists on Health Policy January 23, 2009
- About this grant