Field of Work: Promoting health careers
Problem Synopsis: The number of minority and low-income health professionals in the U.S. health care workforce is low, yet that workforce also suffers from critical shortages.
Synopsis of the Work: The American Dental Education Association updated and expanded ExploreHealthCareers.org, built awareness of the site among low-income and minority middle- and high-school students, and created an online mentoring and social networking microsite.
The expanded ExploreHealthCareers.org website includes:
- Information on five new health care fields and dozens of new careers.
- A directory of more than 7,000 programs across the United States that educate and train students to enter health professions.
- Information on more than 500 enrichment programs that provide low-income and minority high-school and college students with exposure to and experience in health care fields.
- A database of 300 scholarships, loans, fellowships, and grants that enable low-income and minority students to pursue health careers.
Staff also created an online mentoring and social networking microsite for the Dental Student Outreach Program.
- Pipeline, Profession & Practice: Community-Based Dental Education August 27, 2013
- Ladders in Nursing Careers Program July 1, 1999
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program October 7, 2013
- Attracting the Best and Brightest Minority Students to Medicine June 1, 2000
- About this grant