Field of Work: Working with local faith congregations to address childhood obesity
Problem Synopsis: Children and families in the Mississippi Delta region need access to health food and opportunities for safe physical activities.
Synopsis of the Work: Staff from the Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi worked with local faith congregations to combat childhood obesity by improving access to nutritious food and increasing opportunities for safe physical activities for children in the region. The initiative also worked to improve the health and wellness of local faith congregations.
As reported to RWJF, the Community Foundation project team:
- Assembled a coalition of approximately 50 faith congregations, called Healthy Congregations, to promote changes leading to healthier congregations and communities
- Convened two conferences for the coalition to promote health advocacy among members and share best practices
- Worked with five other organizations to develop a Faith Community Nurse/Health Ministry Advocate Training program
- Increased the availability of affordable, healthy foods
- Identified potential playground sites and food deserts where healthy, affordable food is difficult to obtain.