Disseminate best practices and implement changes across all care units.
Why It's Important:
To fully leverage the success of a new method or innovation, it's imperative to spread it to other units within a hospital and even across an entire system. Sharing lessons learned and the best ways to improve quality care helps to ensure that innovations are sustained and enables all units to benefit from tested and proven changes.
How To Do It:
1. Clearly identify what will be spread so that all expectations are clear. Consider if it is a specific method or improvement.
2. Identify the target population for the innovation or method and the priority units.
3. Determine the expected level of performance and measures for the target units. Include a time frame for the spread to take place. (e.g., weeks, months, quarters)
4. Develop a communications plan for spread.
5. Establish a system to collect and analyze measurement data on spread units.
Spread tracker templates (save and download to your desktop before opening) may be tailored for specific methods/innovations.
6. As initial methods and innovations are spread across units, identify the best practices for spread and refine the process for better success.