This foreword to a special issue on public health systems research articles discusses the history and evolution of the field. The author describes the function of the AcademyHealth Interest Group of Public Health Systems Research (PHSR) and provides a definition of public health systems research.
- Public health systems research examines the financing, organization and delivery of public health services within communities.
- Public health systems research is multidisciplinary and analyzes the interactions between different components of public health.
- The AcademyHealth Interest Group of PHSR aims to support the development and growth of this field of research.
This special issue of Health Services Research aims to encourage thoughtful, thorough public health systems research to improve the health of the public.
- 1. Applying Health Services Research to Public Health Practice
- 2. Commentary
- 3. Geographic Variation in Public Health Spending
- 4. Toward Standardized, Comparable Public Health Systems Data
- 5. The Public Health and Economic Benefits of Taxing Sugar-Sweetened Beverages
- 6. Introducing Quality Improvement Methods into Local Public Health Departments
- 7. A Framework to Measure the Value of Public Health Services
- 8. Agency Discretion and Public Health Service Delivery