In our efforts to keep the Anthology objective and unbiased, we have always had a policy that authors not promote the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation or those who work for it. This chapter represents a departure from that policy. It is an unabashed tribute to the Foundation’s most revered staff member. Terry Keenan joined the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation as one of its first employees, and for more than 30 years he has set the standard for creativity, caring and vision.
Digby Diehl, a noted author and frequent contributor to the Anthology series, intertwines the story of Keenan’s life with his philosophy of grantmaking and a description of the programs he developed and nurtured. As Diehl observes, Keenan has had an enormous influence on philanthropy both at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and nationally.
- 1. Foreword
- 2. Editors' Introduction
- 3. Acknowledgments
- 4. Free to Grow
- 5. Improving Health in an Aging Society
- 6. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Efforts to Cover the Uninsured
- 7. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Safety Net Programs
- 8. The Medicaid Managed Care Program
- 9. The Evolution of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Approach to Alcohol and Drug Addiction
- 10. Students Run LA
- 11. Terrance Keenan
- 12. Public Scrutiny of Foundations and Charities