This grants results special report, written by Janet Heroux, M.H.S., M.B.A., explores physical activity at the community level and asks: What works; what doesn't?
Foundation program staff selected 25 initiatives for examination, hoping that a wide range of approaches might provide answers. The approaches included:
- Community-wide campaigns that promote physical activity.
- Programs that teach behavioral-change skills.
- Interventions that build social support networks for physical activity.
- The creation of—or enhanced access to—walking or biking trails, exercise facilities and other places for activity.
- Changes in community design and practices to promote physical activity.