In 2003, Health Research and Educational Trust published a special issue of Health Services Research as a memorial tribute to John Eisenberg, M.D. A former Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Clinical Scholar, Eisenberg was a leading health services researcher and then the leader for the federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- The "Special Memorial Tribute to John M. Eisenberg" (Health Services Research, Volume 38, Number 4, August 2003) honors Eisenberg's contribution to health services research and his ability to translate findings into policy and practice, according to James R. Knickman, Ph.D., Vice President for Research and Evaluation at RWJF. The articles include:
- Michael Seid, Gregory D. Stevens and James W. Varni, "Parents' Perceptions of Pediatric Primary Care Quality: Effects of Race/Ethnicity, Language, and Access."
- Eric H. Larson, Lovella Palazzo, Bobbi Berkowitz, Michael J. Pirani and L. Gary Hart, "The Contribution of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants to Generalist Care in Washington State."
- Harold S. Luft, "Variations in Patterns of Care and Outcomes after Acute Myocardial Infarction for Medicare Beneficiaries in Fee-For-Service and HMO Settings."
- Clair M. Spettell, Terry C. Wall, Jeroan Allison, Jaimee Calhoun, Richard Kobylinski, Rachel Fargason and Catarina I. Kiefe, "Identifying Physician-Recognized Depression from Administrative Data: Consequences for Quality Measurement."
- Sebastian Schneeweiss, Philip S. Wang, Jerry Avorn and Robert L. Glynn, "Improved Comorbidity Adjustment for Predicting Mortality in Medicare Populations."
RWJF supported this project through a grant of $20,000.