From 1997 to 2000, the Council of Better Business Bureaus' Foundation (now the BBB Wise Giving Alliance) strengthened its capacity to help community-based voluntary nonprofit organizations across the nation establish clear and uniform standards of performance and accountability as public trusts, through its network of 128 local bureaus.
- The council provided a range of educational and support services to individual Better Business Bureaus to assist community-based voluntary nonprofit organizations in beginning or expanding charity reporting activities. These educational and support services included:
- The development of a training manual and related workbook.
- Comprehensive training seminars for local bureau personnel.
- The creation of custom software.
- Technical support at the local level.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) supported this project through a grant of $167,698.