From 1997 to 2000, investigators at the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs prepared and disseminated a publication exploring opportunities for patient representation in managed care organizations (MCOs).
- Project director, Marc A. Rodwin, PhD, authored "Consumer Voice, Participation and Representation in Managed Health Care: A White Paper." In the paper, the author indicates that the consumer voice can:
- Set standards and priorities for benefit coverage decisions.
- Open to public scrutiny the process by which MCOs make key decisions about rationing health care.
- Provide feedback about local problems.
- Spur organizational change.