From 1997 to 2000, the US Schweitzer Fellows Programs, which enable medical, nursing, public health and social work students to volunteer their services in impoverished communities, increased the number of student participants and added three volunteer sites.
During the funding period, the Fellows Program:
- Increased the number of student participants—from 80 in 1997–98 to 131 by 2000—and added local sites in Pittsburgh, Pa.; New York, N.Y. and Baltimore, Md.
- Hired a national program coordinator.
- Developed informational materials on the program.
- Developed a protocol to evaluate volunteer sites.
- Enhanced communication among volunteer sites.
- Enhanced the website.