To encourage experts in public health, law, political science, medicine, sociology, criminal justice, economics, psychology, and other behavioral and policy sciences to address issues of substance abuse.
- $212,302.00 awarded to National Council on Crime and Delinquency, Inc. - Research on barriers to the adoption of substance abuse and parenting programs for incarcerated women
- $90,528.00 awarded to University of Maryland, College Park - Study of the health and economic impact of work place smoking bans
- $350,000.00 awarded to National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University - Research on state policies and practices addressing substance abuse among welfare recipients
- $99,983.00 awarded to University of California, San Francisco - Study of the social impact of withdrawal of SSI benefits for drug and alcohol addiction
- $9,515.00 awarded to University of Chicago - Research on the effects of methadone treatment on heroin use in a community