From February 9-13, the Pioneer Portfolio will be sponsoring TED2010. Our goal in being there is to have the opportunity to make connections with some of the world’s most innovative thinkers and, by doing so, to continue to expand our thinking about the possibilities for the future of health and health care.
While we are there, we will be engaging in a discussion about what we see as a truly revolutionary movement in health care toward an approach that is more data-driven and patient-centered. Ensuring that data—whether it’s the content in our electronic medical records or everyday observations about how much sleep or exercise we get—are accessible to people AND actionable, can truly turn our current top-down, doctor-driven health care system on its head.
Join the conversation on Twitter by using and following the hash tag #pioneerdata. Follow the Pioneer Portfolio on Twitter at http://twitter.com/pioneerrwjf. You can also see videos, photos and blog posts from the event by visiting Pioneer on YouTube, Flickr and at Pioneering Ideas.
Leading up to the event, we spoke with a number of grantees, members of the Pioneer team and other experts to get their perspectives on how more accessible, useful data can get people more engaged in managing their health, support better decision-making by patients and providers and, ultimately, lead to stronger health outcomes. Those individuals, who are featured in a video produced for the event, include the following:
- Patricia Flatley Brennan, R.N., Ph.D., Lillian L. Moehlman Bascom Professor, School of Nursing and College of Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and National Program Director, Project HealthDesign
- Dr. Tom Delbanco, M.D., Richard and Florence Koplow-James Tullis Professor of General Medicine and Primary Care; Chief, Division of General Medicine and Primary Care Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Project Director, OpenNotes
- Stephen Downs, S.M., Assistant Vice President for Health and Pioneer Portfolio team member, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- David Eddy, M.D., Ph.D., Founder and Chief Medical Officer Emeritus of Archimedes
- Thomas Goetz, executive editor of Wired magazine and the author of the book, The Decision Tree
- James Ralston, M.D., M.P.H., practicing internist and investigator at Group Health Cooperative and at the University of Washington in Seattle, Project HealthDesign
- Paul Tarini, M.A., Team Director of the Pioneer Portfolio, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Steve Woloshin, M.D., M.S., professor of medicine at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and in clinical practice in the VA Outcomes Group at the White River VA in White River Junction Vermont; Project Director, Drug Facts Boxes