The goal of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars program is to develop the next generation of national leaders in academic nursing through career development awards for outstanding junior nursing faculty. The program aims to strengthen the academic productivity and overall excellence of nursing schools by providing mentorship, leadership training and salary and research support to young faculty.
- Up to 12 awards of up to $350,000 each over three years will be available in this round of funding.
- December 6, 2011 (1 p.m. ET) and December 14, 2011 (11 a.m. ET)—Optional applicant informational Web conferences. Registration is required. Please visit the program’s website for complete details and to register.
- February 7, 2012 (3 p.m. ET)—Deadline for receipt of applications.
- Mid-April 2012—Notification of semifinalist status.
- June 4–6, 2012—Semifinalist interviews with national advisory committee.
- Mid-June 2012—Notification of finalists.
- September 1, 2012—Appointments begin.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Be a registered nurse with a research doctorate in nursing or a related discipline.
- Be a junior faculty member in an accredited school of nursing with an academic position that could lead to tenure. Junior faculty are usually at the instructor or assistant professor level.
- After completing the doctorate, be in an academic position that could lead to tenure for at least two years and no more than five years at the start of the program.
- Identify at least one senior leader in the school of nursing to serve as a primary (nursing) mentor for academic career planning and to provide access to organizations, programs and colleagues helpful to the candidate’s work as a scholar.
- Identify at least one senior researcher in the university with similar or complementary research interests to serve as a research mentor. Scholars are encouraged to select the research mentor from a discipline outside of nursing.
Candidates must be U.S. Citizens, Resident Non-Citizen Nationals, or Resident Foreign Nationals at the time of application and must not be receiving support from other research fellowships/traineeships at the time they begin the program.
Full selection criteria can be found in the Call for Applications.