RWJF Pioneering Ideas Podcast: Episode 2 | Pitch Day, Payment Reform & Behavior Change
Dec 11, 2013, 8:00 AM, Posted by Pioneer Blog Team
Please note that this podcast player might not work in some versions of Internet Explorer. Please view this page in another browser, such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari. You may also access the episode via SoundCloud.
RWJF's Pioneering Ideas Podcast is on iTunes! Don’t miss an episode—click to subscribe.
Welcome to episode two of our podcast. This time we kick things off with our new Mailbag segment, in which Senior Program Officer Paul Tarini answers questions from listeners (time stamp: 1:12). Next, in a conversation with Assistant Vice President of Research and Evaluation and former Pioneer Team Director Brian Quinn, social scientist, innovator, teacher and recent What’s Next Health guest BJ Fogg talks about the need to help people understand how behavior works so they can be more effective in changing their own behavior (4:34). Then we listen in on RWJF’s first-ever Pitch Day, emceed by the Foundation’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Thomas Goetz, and featuring judges like angel investor Esther Dyson and NPR science correspondent Shankar Vedantam (8:10). Finally, Senior Program Officer and physician Mike Painter shares a personal story and a plea for getting the human motivators right in health care (16:11). This episode is hosted by program associate (and former TV broadcaster) Christine Nieves.
We hope you enjoy listening, and we hope you learn something; we certainly did. And there’s more to learn: Share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below, as well as any questions that you’d like us to answer in a future episode.
- BJ Fogg, director of the Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab, is a social scientist, innovator, and teacher who creates systems to change behavior.
In addition, the Pitch Day segment of this episode features the following people:
- Esther Dyson, angel investor and Pitch Day guest judge.
- Shankar Vedantam, NPR science correspondent, author of The Hidden Brain and Pitch Day guest judge.
- Sarah Henrickson Parker, Research Scientist at the National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare, part of the MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2).
- Raj Ratwani, Senior Human Factors Research Scientist at the MedStar National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare.
Learn more about the ideas and projects discussed in this episode.
- How Behavior Change Really Happens – Watch this video interview with BJ Fogg, part of RWJF’s What’s Next Health series.
- Discovering Innovative Ideas from Diverse Sources – Get the lowdown on RWJF’s first-ever Pitch Day, including a video of the day.
- Improving Incentives to Free Motivation – Read the RWJF report on health care payment reform efforts that Mike Painter discusses in his personal essay.
Listen to Past Episodes
Check out past episodes of the Pioneering Ideas podcast, where we explore topics like the power of the placebo effect and the science of choosing.